General advice and calculations

Find out more about Council Tax from the sections shown below:

What is Council Tax?

Council Tax is charged on all domestic properties. The money collected goes towards paying for local services such as education, policing and rubbish collections. For a full breakdown of what is collected and where it goes click on the links below.

How is Council Tax calculated?

To calculate your Council Tax, you need to know three things:

  1. The valuation band of your home
  2. How much is charged for that band (Forest Heath District Council charges or St Edmundsbury Borough Council charges)
  3. Whether you are eligible for a discount or exemption

Council Tax rates and information 2016-17

Who pays Council Tax?

It is usually one person over 18 years old (the liable person) who pays Council Tax. Couples living together are jointly responsible, you can have one name or both your names added to the bill to reflect this. For a full list of who is liable for Council Tax see: Citizens Advice Bureau 'Who has to pay Council Tax'

Your Council Tax bill explained

For a guide to what makes up your Council Tax bill, visit: Anglia Revenues Partnership – Understanding your Council Tax bill

How do I pay my Council Tax?

You can pay your Council Tax over ten months: pay now

You can spread the cost of your Council Tax over 12 months but you will need to let us know. If you want to do this you can set up or amend a direct debit online or contact us

Are there any discounts or exemptions?

A full Council Tax bill is based upon two adults living in a domestic property. Some people are 'disregarded' or not counted as adults for Council Tax purposes (for example if they are full time students.) For more details of Council Tax discounts and exemptions visit: Discounts and exemptions

I need help paying my Council Tax

If you are having problems meeting the cost of your Council Tax bill, contact us You can choose to spread the cost over 12 months instead of ten. Or, if you are on a low income, you could qualify for Council Tax reduction.

What happens if I move in or out of the area?

You will need to let the council know when you move in or out of your house. Complete our online form to report a change in address, visit: Anglia Revenues Partnership – change of address

What is Anglia Revenues Partnership?

Anglia Revenues Partnership (ARP) administrates and collects Council Tax and business rates for a number of councils including Forest Heath District Council and St Edmundsbury Borough Council.